Thrift & Consignment Store Shopping Tips
---- VEST, Thrifted (similar here) -- JEANS, ASOS -- SHOES, Dillards (similar here) -- NECKLACE, M Renee Design ---
Recently, I stopped by a thrift store, looking for a vintage dress & was delighted to run into the cutest sequin vest I have ever laid my eyes on. I got to thinking "People miss out on unique & cheap clothes due to their fear, shame or stigmas associated with thrift stores". Well, I am here to educate you & show you that you can find cute & stylish clothing when you go thrifting, but you have to play by the rules. So, here is my top style tips for shopping at thrift (or consignment) stores:
1. Go with a detailed list or an idea of what you are looking for. Thrift and consignment stores can often be overwhelming so having more focus saves you time & endless shopping through the rack of mom jeans.
2. If you are new to Thrifting, check out your local Yelp or hometown bloggers to see which ones have all the good stuff. Not all thrift stores are created equal, so knowing where the quality finds are is key.
3. Prepare to wait to wear. The thrift store isn't usually the place to go for a last minute outfit. There are a lot of concerns with cleanliness (especially for the germaphobes like me) so it is suggested that you not only wash or have the items dry cleaned but also keep the clothes tied up in a bag for a few days just to ensure there are no surprises on your clothes. (Extreme temperatures are best so a garage or car trunk will usually do the trick)
4. Be aware that vintage clothes are sized different. Depending on how old the item is or the condition, there may not be a tag that tells you the size & even if there is it is often a different sizing system than the local Gap. Be prepared to either try on the clothes or be willing to take a loss if they don't fit once they are properly cleaned.
5. Be open! In today's society, labels and expensive clothes are all the rage. But, be open to giving your budget a break & shopping at thrift and consignment stores. You'd be surprised what you may find & fall in love with.