Monochrome- The Art of Wearing One Color
In case you didn’t know, monochrome is the fashion phenomenon that has taken a new stylish twist on dressing head to toe in one color. One color may sound overwhelming, but if you’re willing to try this trend, this post will give you the tips to completely pull it off. Monochrome is a new trend but it follows the basic rules of the color wheel (read the color wheel post here). It’s basic kindergarten art class- similar colors go well together so why not pair them in a painting, or better yet, an outfit.
A brown coat, brown shoes, brown paints & brown purse sounds pretty boring, but as I have shown you above, when placing the right pieces together even if they are the same color, it can be just as stylish as any other multi-colored outfit you can think of. Monochrom’ing will not only look super stylish but it will also open up new outfit ideas for you. Now that you can pair green and green, red and red and blue and blue, there are tons of undiscovered outfits already sitting in your closet. So, here’s 5 tips for mastering this trend
- Don’t skip the accessories. Items like belts, jewelry and purses give a one color look more character & add a unique detail to break up the look.
- Wear different shades of the same color. One color does not mean one hue. Monochrome looks best when you have varying shades of the same color.
- Try different patterns and textures. When wearing one color to avoid looking boring, switch up the textures of each piece of clothing.
- If you can’t resist, add another color for contrast. Adding a different color pair of shoes with an all red outfit still qualifies as monochrome and is still style approved
- Don’t coordinate your makeup. Monochrome with an outfit is great, but don’t take the one color theme up to your makeup. Use your makeup as a good place to contrast. Above, since I’m wearing all brown (& a peek of white) I wore red & not an earth tone lip color. This is essential to pulling off this look